This might be my favorite category in our Adult Summer Reading Challenge–revisit a childhood favorite. I am currently revisiting Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. If you don’t have a beloved classic in mind to meet this challenge here are some ideas:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl Young Charlie Bucket can’t believe his luck when he finds the very last of Mr. Willy Wonk’s Golden Tickets inside his chocolate bar.
Matilda by Roald Dahl Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she’s just a nuisance.
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White Charlotte’s spiderweb tells of her feelings for a little pig named Wilbur, who simply wants a friend.
Stuart Little by E.B. White An adventurous and heroic little mouse, searches for his lost friend, the lovely bird Margalo.
Pssst…all of these titles are also available as audiobooks. Check off two categories with one title!
The Slimmest of the Slim
To prove just how much Audra and I want you to succeed this summer. I am providing a list of some super-short books to kick-start your reading challenge!
- Woolgathering by Patti Smith Patti Smith tells real and imagined stories from her childhood. 80 pages.
- Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments, with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies by Laura Esquivel Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in turn-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit. 245 pages.
- Cries for Help, Various: Stories by Padgett Powell Presents a collection of short stories that cover the topics of longing, fear, work, loneliness, and cultural nostalgia. 182 pages.
- Stuart Little by E.B. White Stuart Little is a mouse born to a family of humans and lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. 131 pages.
- Whale Rider by Witi Tame Ihimaera As her beloved grandfather, chief of the Maori tribe of Whangara, New Zealand, struggles to lead in difficult times and to find a male successor, young Kahu is developing a mysterious relationship with whales, particularly the ancient bull whale whose legendary rider was their ancestor. 152 pages.