Whatever will be, will be
The future’s not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.
U.S. News and World Report has once again published their great issue of ” 50 Ways to Improve Your Life in 2009″.(December 2008)
I think many of us will have a different approach to the New Year as 2008 was very dismal and perhaps in 2009 there is nothing to do but improve! We may not have too much control over the BIG picture but we can be positive about our own little corners of the world.(thus having a greater impact on the larger corners) I am going to try to think of simple things to concentrate on and to be happy about. US News and World Report does a great job at keeping the New Year’s list simple and obtainable– a key in today’s atmosphere,no? (a slow and steady climb UP)
Here is a smattering of what the magazine suggests(a few of the 50) and how the OWL can get you there — let me see if I can actually do any of them?
1. Turn your commute into a workout. I could walk and I do but I should do it MORE often!
2. Get a new toothbrush. Now here is an easy one to accomplish(at least I hope it is for everyone)
5. Walk the Craves Away.MMM I find myself “walking” to Litchfield Candy Co… better skip this one
16. Brush up on your Philosophy. “Philosophy teaches skills that can help with a number of careers” Critical thinking, logic and analytical writing are important tools to have. Something to ponder while you are brushing your teeth perhaps?
108 FRA. The Pleasures of Philosophy by Charles Frankel
100 EAG. The Meaning of Life by Terry Eagleton
26. Slow down on spending. Hey visit the OWL and see all you can get with your “plastic interest -free ” library card!
31. Study the life of a great leader. I will leave this one open– your personal choice(browse our biography section-or- close your eyes and pick)
44. Teach your kids to cook. Quality time and dinner- what’s better than that?
J641.5 WIL. The Williams-Sonoma Kid’s Cookbook
45. Listen to Music. Have you discovered the OWL’s expansive music collection?
46. Learn to play Bridge. Well you exercise your body why not your brain in a fun way?
795.415 MAN. The Everything Bridge Book
47. Take a “Staycation” OWL offers passes and we also list places of interest that are free on our website
917.46 BOY. Fun With the Family Connecticut by Doe Boyle
50. Read the book first. Movies coming out in 2009 that are already in print: Watchman, Road and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.. read them before you watch!
FIC MCC. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
YA FIC ROW. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
On a serious note: I highly recommend The Economist: The World in 2009 issue. The magazine gives an in depth but manageable objective view of the projected world in 2009. The periodical lays it all out from the economy to technology world wide.
This post is written by Audra– who cannot get Doris Day or Vincent Price out her head( what an odd pairing?!) Happy New Year!!